Frequently Asked Questions
The purpose of the Jerry Knight STEM Academy (JKSA) is to teach learners to explore, create and innovate by engaging learners in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) with an advanced academics focus. Learners will be immersed in real-world problem-solving using the Engineering Design Process.
Design time will be built into the master schedule and will allow learners to work on project/problem-based learning, incorporating design thinking within an innovative learning environment. During their eighth-grade year, learners will be able to identify a real-world problem they are passionate about and develop innovative solutions as their capstone project. They will also be engaged with industry professionals through presentations and feedback protocols.
The Jerry Knight STEM Academy will ultimately prepare learners to pursue STEM interests and advanced academics in high school and postsecondary education. Roughly 60% of the future jobs which will be available for current elementary school students when they graduate will involve skill sets associated with science, math, engineering or technology.
- Who can apply for the Jerry Knight STEM Academy?
- What are the qualifications for acceptance into the Jerry Knight STEM Academy?
- Is this Academy free?
- How do I apply?
- What is the timeline for the application process for this Academy?
- How will I know if I was accepted, and when will I find out?
- How are learners selected?
- How many learners will be accepted in each grade?
- Will transportation be provided?